Wednesday, October 5, 2011
The Tools of the Wellness Trade
Like any trade or hobby, there are tools that you can help you look, feel, and be your very best. Here are a few of my favorites:
- A food scale is so helpful for portion control. A good one will calculate both ounces and grams and allow you to weigh food directly on the scale or in a container. Keep it handy so you can conveniently and accurately measure an ounce of chips or nuts, shredded cheese, pasta, meat, cereal, and other food where the serving size is determined by weight.
- An extra pair of tennis shoes is great to have in the trunk of your car or at work. Replace your workout pair before you need to and stash the old pair so you can take advantage of that unexpected down time by going for a walk.
- Hand held fruits such as apples and bananas are excellent snacks and are quick to grab and go on busy mornings, when traveling, or heading out shopping.
- Exercise bands are light weight and easy to pack, an indispensible tool to have at your desk or on a trip. They come in varying levels of tension and take the place of weights, enabling you to stretch and strength train every part of your body.
- Individual serving-sized snacks are ideal for the kids, busy parents, and anyone who wants easy, accurate portion control. Choose snacks such as crackers or cereal bars for your glove compartment or to take to the movies.
Let me know if you need any help locating these tools. A critical step in being well is being prepared.